I am a freelance consultant in development communication, a native English speaker with dual British/German nationality. I live in Germany and work throughout the developing world. I have extensive work experience with universities, agricultural research and extension agencies and non-government organizations. I provide development communication services in the following areas:
- Production of publications: writing, editing and desktop publishing
- Writeshops to produce information materials
- Communication and media training
- Online training courses
- Artwork for development
- Translation from German (and French, Spanish, Italian and Indonesian) to English.
Looking for my airsickness bag collection?
Qualifications and skills
- PhD in mass communications, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA, 1992
- MA in SE Asian studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1993
- MS in journalism and mass communication, Iowa State University, USA, 1988
- BSc in geography, University of Bristol, UK, 1978
- Skilled computer user and trainer of word processing (Word), layout (InDesign), spreadsheet (Excel) and database (Airtable) programs. Also proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop, WordPress and Joomla.
- Experienced trainer, writer, publications designer, editor, workshop manager and communicator.
- Fluent in English, German and Indonesian
- Good French, Italian, Spanish and Arabic
- Some Chinese, Tagalog, Sundanese and Vietnamese
- Braille (by sight)
- Long-term work experience (5 countries): Egypt, Germany, Indonesia, Philippines, USA
- Short-term experience (32 countries):
- Asia: Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Iran, Myanmar, Nepal, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
- Europe: Belgium, Denmark, France, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, UK
- Africa: Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Mali, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe
- Americas: Bolivia, Grenada, St Kitts and Nevis
- Dual British and German national, native English speaker, resident of Germany
- Agriculture, extension, livestock, natural resources, pests and diseases, pastoralism, research, rural development, soils.
- Communication, gender, health, information systems, land tenure, marketing, social protection, theatre, urban development, visual impairment.
- Artwork, atlases, audiovisuals, books, e-learning, information briefs, newsletters, policy briefs, training courses and materials, videos, websites.
Since 2015: Voluntary work with refugees in Kürten, Germany. Help with finding work and apprenticeships; assistance in navigating bureaucracy and solving problems; managing garden and cooking projects; managing database of contacts; running information service on Coronavirus.
Since 1996: Freelance consultant in development communication: 200+ separate consultancies for 50+ clients (donors are in italics):
- Agri-ProFocus (Netherlands)
- Agromisa (Netherlands)
- Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa, AGRA (Kenya)
- ARS Progetti (Belgium, Germany, Kenya)
- Atlas Manufaktur (Germany)
- Bread for the World/Evangelische Entwicklungsdienst (Ethiopia)
- Business Partners for Development (UK, Germany)
- CARE (Bangladesh, Denmark, Netherlands)
- Catholic Relief Services, CRS (Kenya, Germany, USA)
- CTA (Germany, Grenada, Netherlands, Kenya, Senegal, St Kitts, Tanzania, Uganda)
- Dutch Sustainable Trade Initiative, IDH (Netherlands)
- Endogenous Livestock Development Network (HIVOS, Germany)
- Euroconsult (Asian Development Bank, Indonesia; World Bank, Iran)
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO (Germany, Italy, Nepal, Thailand)
- Greenpeace (Germany)
- Growing Nations (Lesotho)
- Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeitt, GIZ, GTZ (Germany, Bolivia, India, Kenya)
- Heinrich Böll Foundation (Germany)
- HTSPE (Asian Development Bank, Vietnam)
- International Institute of Rural Reconstruction, IIRR (various, Ethiopia, Kenya, Germany, Philippines, Tanzania, Uganda)
- International Livestock Research Institute, ILRI (Kenya)
- ISG (Danida, Uganda)
- Royal Tropical Institute, KIT (various, Gambia, Germany, Netherlands, Kenya, Mali)
- League for Pastoral Peoples, LPP (Misereor, Germany, Italy, S Africa)
- LEI, Wageningen University and Research Centre (Uganda)
- Lokhit Pashu-Palak Sansthan (Germany, India)
- Macro (USAID, Mali)
- Masdar (World Bank and DFID, Nepal)
- Misereor (Germany)
- NIRAS (Ethiopia)
- Open Source Seeds (Germany)
- Overseas Development Institute, ODI (DFID, Sida, UK, Germany, India, Kenya, South Africa, Vietnam)
- Orgut (SIDA, Ethiopia, Vietnam)
- Participatory Integrated Watershed Management Project (African Development Bank, Gambia)
- PLAN Netherlands (Netherlands)
- Relma (SIDA, Ethiopia, Kenya, Zimbabwe)
- Rosa Luxemburg Foundation (Germany)
- SNV (Zimbabwe)
- Swedish Cooperative Centre (Zimbabwe)
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (Mongolia)
- Theatre Embassy (Netherlands)
- Unesco (Germany)
- UN-HABITAT (Kenya, Germany)
- Uniconsult International Ltd, UCIL (Asian Development Bank, Bangladesh)
- University of Bern/Centre for Development and Environment (Switzerland)
- Unops (UNDP, Myanmar)
- Van Hall Larenstein, University of Applied Sciences (Netherlands)
- VE-LOG (Germany)
- Vétérinaires Sans Frontières, VSF (Belgium, Germany)
- Visio (Netherlands)
- WASTE (Netherlands)
- Wetlands International (Mali)
1993-96: Director of communication, International Institute of Rural Reconstruction (Philippines): communication management, project planning, workshop management, editing, publication, audiovisuals, training.
1986-92: Research, teaching and graduate study on agricultural information and technology dissemination, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Iowa State University (both USA), and Agency for Agricultural R&D (Indonesia).
1983-86: Editor, Central Research Institute for Food Crops (World Bank, Asian Development Bank, Indonesia)
Publications and training courses
I have written, edited or designed over 300 publications of various types, ranging from information sheets and policy briefs to training manuals and major books. I have conducted numerous training courses on various aspects of communication and writing. I have authored e-learning courses on subjects ranging from communication to biodiversity. Click here for a list.
I undertake short-term consultancy assignments (no longer than 4 weeks at a time). For family reasons, I am not currently considering long-term employment overseas.
Consulting work is inherently uncertain: funding doesn't come through, projects are delayed, or a competitor may win the bid. Because of demand, I try to plan my work at least 6 months in advance. It is sometimes necessary to juggle dates to make things fit the calendar.
I am occasionally able to take on activities at short notice if a prior commitment falls through, or if it happens to fill a gap in my calendar.